1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crochet gloves

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Dilly Day, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

So many gorgeous things - but the Edwardian lawn dress, oh my, how I would love that!

These are just 20210317_154420.jpg 20210317_154513.jpg 20210317_154610.jpg

three pairs of pretty crocheted gloves from my ever growing collection!

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Such lovely gloves, and the first pair look so very like mine in the other thread, I think they must have been made from the same pattern. I wonder if they were home made, or commercially produced.

3. Dilly Day

I have just been back to have another look at yours and yes, apart from the colours of the flowers they appear to be identical.
    Think they must have been commercially produced as they are so perfect. Mine don't look as if they have ever been worn. Sadly they don't fit my broad hands but I just enjoy having them (along with the other 50 odd pairs hoarded!).

4. Retro Ruth

You may be right about commercially produced. They will still have been made by hand though - there's no such thing as a true crochet machine as far as my research has shown. Some highly skilled crocheter will have been employed to produce them.

I think you in the UK too? Perhaps our gloves came from the same shop! Either that or they were done from the same pattern by home crocheters. I do have a few vintage patterns for crochet gloves, but I haven't seen a pattern quite like these ones.

5. Dilly Day

Yes, I'm in the UK - sunny Hampshire!

Certainly whoever made them was extremely skilled.
    I hadn't realised crochet couldn't be made by machine - it's true that you learn something every day!
    I also have some glove patterns but nothing as fancy as these.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. Retro Ruth

I'm in Brighton!

I have this 1940s pattern, which is very fine work, but not as fancy as your examples. I can crochet, but I couldn't make something like this with such fine thread and a tiny hook! You need good eyesight, or a magnifying glass. And lots of patience!

I looked into the crochet machine question awhile ago, and as far as I can tell, there is no such thing. There are lace machines that sort of imitate crochet to produce flat lace trim, but they don't produce true crochet.

So all your gloves were made by hand, whether commercially or at home, as far as I know. Incredible really isn't it! The amount of work that has gone into them.

crochet gloves 1.jpeg
    crochet gloves close up.jpeg

7. Dilly Day

I tried to learn to crochet but it wasn't one of my most successful ventures into crafting!
    People used to make such beautiful items, so much skill and time went in to them. I love finding vintage treasures and get enormous pleasure from just having them and poring over them like a miser with a hoard of gold!
    In the olden days when we were allowed to travel there was nothing I liked better than a day in Brighton pottering about in the lanes!
    Hopefully I'll do it again - just hope the shops can survive this.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. Retro Ruth

I inherited a whole load of this kind of fine crochet cotton thread recently, in various colours, and even a lace making pillow and bobbins. At some point I'm going to have a go at fine crochet lace and bobbin lace. But it'd take awhile before I could attempt anything like these gloves!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.