1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious about a vintage dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by safirescorp, Jun 5, 2009.

1. safirescorp

safirescorp Registered Guest

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me any information about this Gene Shelly vintage dress.

It was given to us as a gift from an old family friend and we just wanted to find out a little bit about the dress. I have researched it online, but have not been able to find anything.

The dress is 100% wool, is ivory in color, has beads and pearls...its beautiful. I just wanted to know the history of the dress if possible.

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found ads for Gene Shelly from the 1940s through the 1960s. Most of the very late 1950s through the 1960s ads were for her beaded gowns. One 1964 ad said:

"During the recent preview of California collections for the nation's press, it was plain to see that the best way to stretch your wardrobe for the coming season is with knits, knits, knits.

And knits take on a new low cost glitter with a process known, in fashionese, as "runway beading."

Gene Shelly of California, who has literally thousands of outlets in this country (more than 600 in California alone), showed fashion editors more than 40 beaded or embroidered knits--all placed on the market with the aid of Oriental labor.

Shelly's designs included slithery, spangled cocktail dresses and full length evening attire, also sweaters, suits, and afternoon dresses. The hand embroider or beaded detail was done in Hong Kong on American manufactured fabric.

However, in one instance, the entire ensemble was spawned in Hong Kong--a brilliant pink hand-screened silk, heavily beaded and sequined. A long rajah coat of the same jeweling and fabric was manufactured for Shelly in Hong Kong. It will sell in the United States for almost $350, while the two-piece dress will bring alost $600.

(If done entirely in the United States, the cost would probably soar 30 to 40%)

3. I would date it as 1960s.

The internet isn't always that great for researching history - for better information, you might like to visit a library. There isn't anywhere near enough information published about fashion though, many designers seem to have fallen through the cracks. We need to write books whilst those who know are still around to tell their stories.

Nicole

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I've had 2 beaded 60s cashmere cardys from Gene Shelly. I've just checked my files, and one was labelled "Gene Shelly's Boutique International, California", with a second, Sak's Fifth Avenue label, and the second read "Gene Shelly's Boutique Internationale, California" (note that "e" at the end of "international"--very European!

Both were exquisitely done--totally encrusted in very intricate beading. Your dress looks gorgeous, too!

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I don't know anything about the label, but that dress is really gorgeous! What a nice piece to add to your collection....

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i would say 60s as well. lucky you!!: jewel-encrusted garments are HOT now, too

7. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

My Gene Shelly dress came with a little bag filled with extra beds and sequins. I didn't know if they were meant for repairs, or to make a matching accessory.

[​IMG]

8. Repairs - beaded or sequinned garments are prone to damage. It's considerate of the manufacturer to include spare bits.

Nicole

9. safirescorp

Curious about vintage dress

Thank you all for the information. I've read a few other topics on the forum and found that our dress also has the RN 27049. What does it mean?? The rest of the label reads "Gene Shelly's Boutique Internationale, Made in Hong Kong, 100% Wool, Size 12". The bead work on the dress is very intricate and exquisite.

10. safirescorp

This is one of the flowers up close

11. safirescorp

New Info about vintage dress

My mother told me that the family friend that gave us the dress stated that it had been used in a movie or that one like it was used in a movie. Does anyone know anything about this?

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Unfortunately, I doubt that there is anyway anyone can confirm the alleged movie history of that lovely dress.

The Federal Trade Commission RN search gives only this information about that RN #:

13. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

OOKOOOOOOO!!!! i want to see YOUR Gene Shelly dress!!!!!! please??!!!??!!!

:camera:

14. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Oh! thank you for the close up of the flower thats beautiful!

Melody

15. secondlooks

secondlooks Alumni

I found this one yesterday, it looks older to me because of the copper beading, but has same RN as yours tho.

[​IMG]

16. safirescorp

Thank you all for all the information. And thank you for the comments on our Gene Shelly dress. We love it and are glad to have it. As for whether or not it was in a movie, well, I don't know. It would be wonderful though, if it had been.

17. Nanaruby

Nanaruby Registered Guest

I have a Gene Shelly dress trying to find out any information I can get on it. Post a picture of the tag inside of dress

Attached Files:

18. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Did you read the 2nd post in this thread, there is quite a lot of info there. The label on yours looks like a number of Gene Shelly pieces I have had over the years that were all from the 1960s.