1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cuzzen's 60s Shirt?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RustySpurVintage, Jan 20, 2013.

1. RustySpurVintage

RustySpurVintage Registered Guest

Found this cool vintie shirt today. What do you think? 60s? Golf shirt? The buttons appear to be mother of pearl (read that article...very interesting!) Wool and has a few little holes in it. Is this is an easy fix if I turn it inside out and use a little black thread? Recommended? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Cute cardigan - oh, wait, shirt? Of knitted wool - I think I'd call that a cardigan.

Anyway - do you have close up pics of all the labels, please.

3. RustySpurVintage

Here they are...

Attached Files:

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

nice sweater, Adam!

I would say 60s, maybe even 50s on this. so, do you know how to mend?

5. Thank you :)

Yes, I agree with '60s - holes in knits can be fixed by stitching on the underside, but it's best if you can work with the knitted threads and match the colour: it can be a bit fiddly so if you haven't done it before, I recommend some practice.

6. RustySpurVintage

I've tried it successfully with some newer sweaters. But I've never used the knitted threads. Just whatever is in my sewing kit.... Hmm....

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Most of what I found about Cuzzens of the Fontainbleau dated to the 1960s, although I think I also saw a 1977 reference, but I am not sure of that date. They were apparently involved in a lawsuit for sending out labels--not attached to any clothing--to stores such as S. Klein in NY. (see also attached 1961 Klein ad). This excerpt from that legal matter gives you some background on the company:

"Cuzzens, Inc. , trading as Cuzzens of the Fontainebleau, is a corporation organized, existing and doing business under and by virtue of the laws of the State of Florida with its principal office and place of business located at the Hotel Fontainebleau, in the city of Miami Beach, Florida. Respondents Stanley Fried and Donald Fine are individuals and arc officers of said corporate respondent. They formulate, direct and control the acts and practices of the corporate respondent. Their address is the same as that of the corporate respondent.

PAR. 8. Respondents, Cuzzens, Inc. , trading as Cuzzens of the Fontainebleau, Stanley Fried and Donald Fine are now, and at all times material hereto have been, engaged in the business of operating a retail store selling to the public various types of goods, wares and articles or merchandise, including men's wearing apparel, in competition with other corporations , firms and individuals also engaged in selling to the public goods, wares and articles of merchandise of the same kind and nature as that sold by the respondents Cuzzens Inc. trading as Cuzzens of the Fontainebleau, Stanley Fried and Donald Fine. The said men's wearing apparel all have price tickets affixed thereto and labels attached thereon identifying such merchandise as being part of the stock of Cuzzens, Inc.
    In the course and conduct of their business, respondents named in Paragraph Eight of this complaint are now, and for some time last past have been , transmitting to the various manufacturers and distributors of their articles of merchandise, who are located in the State of New York, their labels and price tickets for affixture and attachment to articles of merchandise which are now, and for some time last past have been, sent directly to various branches of respondent S. Klein Department Stores, Inc. located in the States of New York and New Jersey."

CuzzensFontainbleauSKlein1961Ad.jpg

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is a wonderful sweater and I would say early 60s. I can't help but think of Andy Williams, Frankie Avalon..so many other...crooners from that time often wore sweaters more as a shirt.

This is not like yours as it is a v-neck pullover and would be a little later than yours...but just for fun.

AndyWilliamsLP.jpg

9. RustySpurVintage

Thanks, everyone! Yeah...it is a very nice sweater. I love the time period. Too small for me though. I did my best with the holes. Not awesome, but you can barely tell. Hopefully I didn't hurt the value much. Thanks again for all the great input/advice!

10. nwflyer

nwflyer Registered Guest

Andy's sweater is early/mid sixties...Parker of Vienna...I still have three of them in different colors in the original clear plastic carriers...