1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date check on DL Barron dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Can anyone help me date this dress with matching shirt/jacket from DL Barron?

I've seen DL Barron dresses on line dated to 60s, 70s and 80s but I'm not quite sure when to place this.

It has no fabric content or care labels. It feels like pure cotton. Overlocked seams.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Many thanks,

Ruth

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i'mnot familiar at all w/DL Barron, but the 2 pc matching floral dress/jacket and styling reminds me of something my mom had, would have been late 60s/early 70s. is that collar on the jacket pretty elongated??

love that square neckline!

3. mercyonthesubway

mercyonthesubway Registered Guest

love the print!

4. Retro Ruth

Glad you like it - I think the dress is more appealing than the shirt which does seem to make it a bit 'mumsy'!

Yes, the collars pretty long, almost to the shoulder seam, I've tried to show it in the 4th pic. I'd never heard of DL Barron either, but quite a few came up when I googled.

Late 60s/early 70s is what I was thinking, partly because of the lack of care labels.

5. Ruth, I agree that it's '60s or maybe early '70s is because of the size label - it says "16" but the hip measurement is 40 inches, which is about a modern (UK) size 12, therefore an older size system is operating and it can not be of recent age.

N

6. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

I've had a dress and a suit with this label - both I thought were 70-75. I'm also in the UK Ruth, so I'm guessing this one didn't go global!

Completely agree that the blouse/jacket makes the whole thing a bit Hyacinth Bucket - the parts are greater than the sum! I have a 50s floral dress and jacket, which is just the same - I tried the dress on and my DH made appreciative noises. I slipped the jacket on over and he looked horrified! I wear the jacket with jeans, but certainly not with the dress. You might want to suggest that when you sell.

Sarah

7. Retro Ruth

Hyacinth Bucket! Tee hee. Yes that's exactly it. Not a good look!

Thanks Sarah for the tip on suggesting to buyers they not be worn together - I'd been wondering how exactly to market this. In fact I might do some more photos of the just the blouse with jeans. I even considered splitting them up to sell, it seemed too sacrilegious, but I can't imagine who would want to wear them together. Except Hyacinth of course. I do like the print, and they're both in mint condition.

So I'm going to go with late 60s, possibly early 70s.

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

:hysterical: definitely Hyacinth (love her!).

I thought sort of late 60s/early 70s too. Pretty dress.

Karin

9. Retro Ruth

I think Hyacinth could be a new ebay keyword. Do you think it'll catch on? ;)

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member