1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date confusion on dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by hlgalloway, Nov 24, 2016.

1. hlgalloway

hlgalloway Registered Guest

Hello! I am currently having a lot of trouble dating a dress I found at a thrift store. Everything about it is pointing to perhaps the late 40s - the 50s; the seams are saw-edged, it has a center back metal zipper (YKK), the sihlouette corresponds, ect. Based off of the inside, it looks home made. But here's the dilemma: on the inside of the garment, at the very bottom of the zipper, two labels are sewn on. One says "Highlite" on it, a brand I could find no information on except that someone is trying to sell a "Highlite" dress from the 80s, and the other label is a fabric info tag. Here's where it gets more interesting: the tag reads "100% polyester, lining 100% rayon" but the dress is liquid satin, not polyester or rayon, and has no lining at all (and it definitely doesn't look like there was any sort of removal of lining.) The tag just does not correspond to the garment at all. I can post pictures if needed, but I'm wondering if perhaps the tags were sewn on afterwards for some reason? Has anyone encountered anything similar before and is it possible, or are there any other theories? Thank you!

As an edit: there are shoulder pads of sorts that are sewn in, and just noticed something rather usual just before the beginning of the seam that attaches the arm (still on the inside.) there is a thread on either side that makes it look like a randomly placed belt loop, except at the end of each thread is an attached snap. More confused.

ADDED PHOTOS:

IMG_4500.JPG IMG_4503.JPG IMG_4502.JPG IMG_4501.JPG IMG_4500.JPG IMG_4507.JPG IMG_4503.JPG IMG_4502.JPG IMG_4501.JPG IMG_4505.JPG IMG_4506.JPG IMG_4507.JPG IMG_4504.JPG

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

Not that old I think, looks very 1980s to me. Plastic zipper and care label. I have many 80s dresses in the same classic style, also made from Polyester and rayon that feel very much like silk or satin. Pretty dress though, love the colour

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Just a side note on terminology: even though the seam finish looks like "saw edged", the actual term is pinked. :)

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

"100% polyester, lining 100% rayon" but the dress is liquid satin, not polyester or rayon,"

You are confusing fiber and weave. Satin is a fabric weave that can be made of different fibers including polyester, rayon, silk, cotton, wool, and more. I agree that your dress is 1980's made of polyester satin.
    Marian

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Looks like a 1980s bridesmaid dress.
    You didn't include pix of the inside loops with snaps, but it sounds like they could be lingerie strap keepers.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

8. I see a nylon zipper with a metal pull, not a metal zipper.
    I definitely agree with that others... it's no earlier than the 1980s.
    Lovely dress!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. I agree with the others: late '80s, party or bridesmaid dress, could be early '90s because the fashion didn't change for a while. It does look to me like there is some lining, either in the bodice or the skirt because on the inside the fabrics don't look the same. The style is '40s-50s influenced so that's why you've been tempted by the earlier dating.

The thing about dating a frock is to remember that style is only one component to look at and as styles go in and out of fashion, it's more important to look at things like fabric, construction, labels.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.