1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date help: 30s or 40s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by dextella, Oct 29, 2017.

1. dextella

dextella Registered Guest

Hello!
    Recently my gf have found very lovely dress with lattice sleeves, some open work with soft sheer, made of thick, nice fabric. I would say this is more 30s than 40s dress, but I want to ask you dear VFG users, because you have much more knowledge: When was it made?
    There are some additional information:
    Buttons on dress have small "1932" in their back, but I doubt that dress is that early!
    Dress has no zipper: only buttons on back and hooks and eyes on the left side.
    No overlock seams, a lot of elements were hand-sewn.
    Dress is from Germany - as I noticed in 40s or even late 30s, Germans used zippers whenever they could (the bigger, the better :D), this dress has none.
    Thanks in advance for any help guys!

burgund.jpg 20171029_075648.jpg 20171029_075730.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The lack of a zipper would suggest wartime 40s to me. Once stocks of existing zippers were used up, snaps, and hooks and eyes became standard closures again. It has an odd combination of a short but full skirt, and the lattice work sleeves would require a lot of labour to create. At first I thought it might even be couture, but for the finishing work on the inside seems rough to me - are the selvedges bound by hand - I can't tell in the photos?

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

So pretty. I think it is 40s too. At the end of the 30s into the early 40s the shoulders were slightly more puffed. Then as we went further into the 40s the shoulders with shoulder pads became more squared.
    The length and A-line shape of the skirt is spot on for the 40s too. I can see there some fullness in the skirt however that is to account for the pleated design.
    All of those features are what makes me love 40s dresses. It's a really nice find. I would have been very happy if I found it. :)

5. Agree with '40s. Are those shoulder pads I see?

6. dextella

Shoulder pads are present but looks like they were exchanged - they look much "fresher" than overall dress.

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Beautifully modeled. And those green shoes! I want a pair.
    Marian

peaceful vintage likes this.
  8. dextella

Thanks a lot everyone for help! ;)