1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date help - men's button fly trousers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by themerchantsofvintage, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Please excuse quick pics.

Picked up this quality pair of wool cuffed trousers. Thinking 30s but not sure. Pleated front, tapered cuffed legs (nicely finished with weighty "tape"), one flapped button down (hidden) back pocket, 2 jetted side pockets, 5 button down fly (only 4 showing) plus 2 buttons for cotton lining, hook and bar.

There is also a small loop on the outside that tops the button run. Use?

There is some printed selvidge on the back pocket that says District Check by... but that's it! So I guess we'll never know who made the fabric as that is the only place on the pants that has it.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0655.JPG

cmpollack likes this.
  2. Lovely trousers! I can't help much on the date ('30s perhaps?) and can't see the small loop you mention but wanted to point out that the way the pants dip down at the front is very odd, especially as during this era they wore them high. It makes them look more modern, and to be worn under a belly as in the modern fashion. It doesn't seem to be an alteration but I find it confusing.

3. Thanks for checking, Nicole. I see what you mean. The rise is about 14"; so longer than today's standard I think.

Forgot to mention the crotch has a gusset.

I'll take a close up of the small loop.

4. Here's a photo of the loop:

IMG_0661.JPG

5. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

I have a feeling that they may be a very good quality reproduction, possibly from an original pattern (there are some commercial companies making some nice quality items such as this) I am also a bit puzzled by the "District Checks" label too. I am also very happy to be proved wrong!

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I was wondering if they might be some kind of 1980s remake using a button novelty closure rather than a zipper. The thin belt, and the overlapping tab with hook closure looks very 80s to me, as does the pleat fronts - they don't look like 30s/40s pleat fronts, and there is no watch pocket, which was a standard addition until about 1940, but turn-up cuffs disappeared by 1942... And that oversized check strikes me as some kind of English tweed designed for hunting parties - maybe its a district check and something to do with a district tartan design? Just speculating, but there are anomalies with these.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  7. Thank you both. Possibly reproduction- I have little experience with men's trousers from this period.

Just checked and there is a fob pocket.

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I have a similar front waist loop on an 80s jumpsuit, and I believe it's for holding a belt at the correct level. You put the prong of the buckle through the loop, then fasten the belt. It keeps the belt aligned with the waist, and stops it from slipping up or down. My jumpsuit has a matching belt, and only side belt loops - this little loop at the front does a great job. Without it, the belt wouldn't stay at the waist properly.

Your trousers are a very different garment, and have more belt loops, but I think that's the purpose here as well.

9. Mystery solved. Thanks, Ruth.

Looks like they're 80s does 30s with a twist.

Thanks again everyone for your input.