1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date Help on Soutache Lace & Silk Jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by dorotheascloset, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Exterior in superb, solid condition but the silk lining needs replaced or it could be worn sheer with something beneath (or not, depending on how you roll).

[​IMG]

Side, you can see how the back is shorter and flounces out a bit...would it have gone over a bustled skirt?

[​IMG]

Detail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks guys!!!

Ang

2. It's Edwardian.

3. dorotheascloset

Thank you thank you! Just called a jacket?

Ang

4. How about Embroidered Tape Lace Jacket? It's not really soutache as that would be a cording applied to a fabric base. Maybe that's not embroidery I'm seeing in which case, leave it out.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like battenberg lace to me, which is a tape lace and it is absolutely gorgeous!!!

6. Mary Jane, I don't think that Battenburg would have that net backing and is also a flatter lace if that makes any sense.

7. dorotheascloset

It is flat cording applied to netting. So tape lace? New one on me and happy to learn a new term, thanks so much!!!

Ang

8. Hi Ang, yes, I'd go with tape lace. It's a bit of a generic term that applies to several different types of lace including Battenburg. Since I don't have the nuances of lace identification down I tend to go more generic.

9. dorotheascloset

Thanks! Ang

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

That's an eye popper Ang. It looks a bit like a precursor to ribbon dresses and although tape lace sounds right to me, I might toss in ribbon lace in there somewhere too.