1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date help on this tooled leather clutch bag?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi all

This clutch with a hand strap is quite large measuring 14.5 inches on the longest edge. Any ideas on dating, and is it simply a woman's clutch bag?

DSCF6824.JPG
    DSCF6826.JPG
    DSCF6829.JPG

Thanks as always.

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Looking through the copy of Roseann Ettinger's book 'Handbags' that I have on my lap, these tooled bags appear between 1900-late 1930's with similar Arts & Crafts style floral designs being typical but I think the zip is going to date yours more accurately, it's certainly looks an early zip to me, possibly individual teeth by the looks of it?

3. Retro Ruth

Thanks Melanie - I was thinking 40s but wondering if it could be earlier. I hadn't made the Arts & Crafts association - I hadn't been thinking quite that far back!

I agree the zip seems very early, and has no makers marks. Not sure what you mean by individual teeth - don't all metal zips have individual teeth?

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I can't find the article I read about individual zip teeth in right now but the VFG tip & tricks page for dating vintage states that coil (continuous teeth) zips aren't around until 1940 though I presume its talking about plastic zips. At some stage in the early development of zips I believe the teeth were made and attached individually, yours just has this look. Is the smaller zip metal teeth as well? I will try and locate the specifics.

btw this book mentions several of the manufacturers marks in these tooled leather bags were simply a printed or stamped letter inside, so it's worth having a good look at the interior to see if there are any maker's marks.

5. Retro Ruth

Coil zippers are nylon. Yes the smaller zip is metal too. I don't see a difference in the way the zip is constructed from later metal zips. The teeth aren't continuous in any metal zips, as far as I can see, even modern ones, but the method used to attach them to the cloth may have changed, and the method of making the teeth.

There are no makers marks on the bag.

6. I get the feeling of a later one that may have been handmade in the late 60s 70s. I know these had large metal zippers. And the design seem correct for the hippie era.
    It reminds me of the Mexican souvenir bags.

7. Retro Ruth

I was wondering about Mexican souvenir bags. Those zip pulls seem older to me and the shape seems unusual. I do get an older feel from it than 60s/70s, but I realise it could have been made almost anytime, which is why I'm asking here!

Actually the more I look, the more I am inclined to agree with Suzanne. Any other opinions gratefully received.

8. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm getting Mexican, 60s or so. It is hard to know, with the tooled leather stuff.
    It's a neat shape.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I have no idea about when they started using this type of zipper in purses, but this looks like late 1930 to mid 1940's to me.

10. Retro Ruth

Thanks for everyone's input - we seem split down the middle between 30s/40s and 60s/70s.

Barbara, did you mean the zipper looks late 30s/40s, or the purse itself?

Ruth

11. joules

joules VFG Member

My estimate would not include the 70s.
    More like 60s, perhaps a bit older.

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

The long, lean shape and handstrap make me think 40s, too. I don't get Arts and Crafts from this because the tooling motifs are so thoroughly Mexican...

14. Retro Ruth

I just had a look on etsy, and there a few similar ish ones, dated anywhere from 40s to 70s. But most are a few inches smaller than this, and they all have whipstitch edging, and a bit more depth. Some are definitely Mexico.

I looked at tooled leather 1910s-1930s Arts & Crafts era bags, and they all seem very different to this in shape and style, so I also don't think it's that.

The handstrap and leanness was one of things that made me think 40s too, that and the zip. I guess it could be one of those designs that was around for some years. I think I'll go with probably 1940s, possibly later.

15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I meant the bag looked late 30s to 40s. I am just not seeing it as any later than that.

16. Retro Ruth

Thanks Barbara, good to have your input.

17. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

18. Retro Ruth

Aw thanks! Yeah me too :wub:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  19. Looks like some of the bags in the 40's catalogs I have.

20. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Ruth, late to this thread, but the shape, size, and strap are all saying 40s to me, too. And it's a really great find, IMO!