1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date help w/ quilted Givenchy Nouvelle boutique jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cmpollack, Dec 17, 2008.

1. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

This has sat, unworn, in my personal collection for awhile and I'm toying with selling it (as well as using it in a print ad), so my nagging questions about date finally need to be resolved!

Floral print fabric is quilted, with applique felt flowers stitched on. Black plastic buttons and satin lining, and patch pockets at the hips. No shoulder pads.

Nowhere to take a snip of fabric from for a burn test, but it's cotton weight with a shiny/ribbed quality to it (so perhaps a blend of some sort?)

The label matches examples in the resource from the 60s as well as the 80s. I honestly am coming up blank for date on this one, so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I just did a little digging (or rather, googling) on the dates the Nouvelle Boutique line was around--according to a couple of sources, it was launched in 1968 and retired in 1992 (when, says the chronology at the bottom of the page below, the high end RTW line was renamed "Couture Givenchy"):

http://www.fashion.at/who/mcqueen.htm

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The narrow shoulders, colours, floral pattern and quilting all suggest 1970s to me - perhaps mid 70s?

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Many thanks, Jonathan!

I suspected 70s early on because of the glow-in-the-dark flowers, then got wobbly on that hunch because of the collarless style...

It'll be SO nice to stop second-guessing myself on this at last...

5. avamac

avamac Alumni

Carrie, I think Jonathan is right on....I remember a season sometime in the 70s where quilted prints were everywhere in long vests and jackets.

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I love how nicely the pattern is matched at the opening. C

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Thanks for weighing in, Claire and Maryalice!

I really need to educate myself a lot more about the mid- to late 70s. I literally lived through them in patched jeans and ethnic tops (varied occasionally with shirts filched from my father or grandfather), and was too religiously anti-fashion at the time to even register what other styles were out there!

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That collarless style was throwing me off as well because it seemed so 80s, but then I thought you could wear it with a turtle neck sweater underneath and then it would be REALLY 70s looking. Also, I have an evening coat that is quilted in a similar manner and was bought at Bergdorf's and its dated 1976.

9. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Ah, the turtleneck, the essential ingredient in any 70s outfit... :rolleyes:

10. Laura

Laura Alumni

I had the same thought, Claire! So nicely done.

11. Agree: another vote for '70s (I have an early '70s maxi skirt which is a similar black floral quilted cotton).

Nicole