1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating 1920s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AngAllen, May 19, 2018.

1. AngAllen

AngAllen Registered Guest

Hello lovely people!

I found a floral cotton dress in an antique store that was labeled "1920s." I did not buy it because it has serged seams, but now I am wondering about it. Maybe it is a reproduction? Anyway, I have attached photos of the dress. It also has belt loops that definitely are drop waist, but no belt. It has no closures, and is slipped on over the head.

I'm specifically wondering about the interesting collar. I looked at past posts about serged seams, and saw that older dresses can sometimes have serged seams, but I'm also curious about other features of the dress. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    DaisyandStella likes this.
  2. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Such a cute dress! It appears 1920s to me - i'd love to hear more about the serged seams as well.

AngAllen likes this.
  3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I see 1920s too and know that some clothing from this era has serged seams. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of clothing from this era will chime in.

I love it! The print is so sweet.

AngAllen likes this.
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

AngAllen likes this.
  5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The print, and some aspects of the style seem early 1930's to me.
    Marian

AngAllen likes this.
  6. Agree with late '20s to early '30s.

There was some serging at this time, but I haven't seen it in day dresses (just lingerie and workwear) but in any case, the way your serging doesn't go into the seams suggests it's not original and was added during a more modern alteration.

AngAllen likes this.