1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Christian Dior Vintage Purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ValentineNicole, Nov 25, 2014.

1. ValentineNicole

ValentineNicole Registered Guest

I have honestly no idea how to date this purse, and I've scoured the internet looking for a hint. The suede is buttery soft, though it shows patches of roughness that tell me it may be true vintage. There are no logos or markings on the hardware or exterior of the bag anywhere. The zipper is YKK, a bit stiff but fully functioning. The leather plaque inside reads "Christian Dior Paris" and there is a long thin fabric strip in the interior that simply reads "Made in Italy." The quality is very, very high.

The gold hardware uses a "screw together" mechanism to attach either side of the gold metal pieces. The shoulder straps are almost reminiscent of a Lady Dior bag to me. Bag is quite large - 13 x 9 inches, 6 inch depth.

Can anyone help?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi Valentine, your bag is of a style I'd expect to find anywhere from the 1980's to today, but the oversize rings and tasselled zip pull are both things that say to me this was made quite recently. Have you tried contacting Dior?

3. ValentineNicole

ValentineNicole Registered Guest

I have not contacted them yet, but I am hoping to today. I am struggling to find a method however - the website contains a form to fill out or a phone number only.

Thank you for the advice!! :) I was leaning slightly towards 1980s, given the lining (similar to Gucci purses I have from this era) and the lack of a serial number, which started in the mid-90s iirc. What has been truly throwing me off is that fabric "Made in Italy" tag. Almost everything I've seen from the 1980s has the country of origin marked on the leather tag itself, and all the fabric strips that read "Made in ..." (France or Italy) seem to date back to the 1960s or 70s. I agree that the oversize hardware pieces do look more modern though! Perhaps early 80s? I will certainly update if I receive an answer from Dior!!

4. I agree with Melanie in that this bag is likely to be fairly modern - last twenty years, perhaps even more recently I think.

It does look like a nice bag in good condition! Hopefully Dior can help.