Dating a circle skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by acceber, Feb 4, 2019.

1. acceber

acceber Registered Guest

I found this today in an antique store and fell in love with the color and it’s swishy rustling fabric. It wasn’t until later after I ironed it out that I realized it was a circle skirt, it was so wrinkly. Any idea as to its age? There is no sign of any tag or label. It closes with snaps. Thanks for your help!

5975B4B8-FCA1-4475-BD54-8144AC8B4EF4.jpeg B97FEB48-5BE7-41D9-823B-187B386D3EA0.jpeg B7E7161E-8279-4CEB-9324-0119998C1B3D.jpeg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain Trade Member

Hello there! Pretty find!

Does the fabric of your skirt have iridescence? It looks like iridescent acetate taffeta to me. I say acetate because the tiny wrinkles imply the skirt has been washed—acetate can develop lots of small wrinkles when wet-washed. Although those snap fasteners can be indicative of Depression and WWII-era items, I believe your skirt would be much more likely to have been homemade in the 1950s. Home seamstresses did not always want to take on sewing a zipper, and the circle of fabric (especially this particular fabric) seems like 1950s to me.

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I agree with Maggie about the fabric. I think it could be a little earlier, mid-1940's. You knew you were dressed up when your skirt made that lovely rustling sound.
    Marian

4. acceber

acceber Registered Guest

Thank you! Yes it’s iridescent. I thought something had to have been done to it because it looks like it’s been pressed a lot!