1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a circle skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Feb 4, 2019.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I found this today in an antique store and fell in love with the color and it’s swishy rustling fabric. It wasn’t until later after I ironed it out that I realized it was a circle skirt, it was so wrinkly. Any idea as to its age? There is no sign of any tag or label. It closes with snaps. Thanks for your help!

5975B4B8-FCA1-4475-BD54-8144AC8B4EF4.jpeg B97FEB48-5BE7-41D9-823B-187B386D3EA0.jpeg B7E7161E-8279-4CEB-9324-0119998C1B3D.jpeg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hello there! Pretty find!

Does the fabric of your skirt have iridescence? It looks like iridescent acetate taffeta to me. I say acetate because the tiny wrinkles imply the skirt has been washed—acetate can develop lots of small wrinkles when wet-washed. Although those snap fasteners can be indicative of Depression and WWII-era items, I believe your skirt would be much more likely to have been homemade in the 1950s. Home seamstresses did not always want to take on sewing a zipper, and the circle of fabric (especially this particular fabric) seems like 1950s to me.

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I agree with Maggie about the fabric. I think it could be a little earlier, mid-1940's. You knew you were dressed up when your skirt made that lovely rustling sound.
    Marian

4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! Yes it’s iridescent. I thought something had to have been done to it because it looks like it’s been pressed a lot!