1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

I was thrift shopping today, and found this lovely coat. I can't tell if it's from the 30's or 40's, or later.
    The coat is a dark burgundy wool with a wool crepe like burgundy lining. It has small shoulder pads, and National Recovery Board label. A double row of self covered buttons down the front. The sleeves are slightly puffed, with a large cuff. It also has a silver gray curly lamb collar, that's is starting to shed :(, but the coat has no holes or tears at all, so was worth the 12.00 price tag. Thank you for help in advance

Attached Files:

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Lovely coat. Can the fur collar be removed? In other words is the collar finished under the fur part? Seeing it on a dress form or a person to show the shape better, would help with dating. What are the shoulder pads made of? From what I can see, it looks late 1940's to me, but I hope others will join in.
    Marian

3. I agree with late 1940s. I think you made a sweet find during your thrift shopping!

Sheila Dawson likes this.
  4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Based on the cut, the collar style, the slightly puffed shoulders, and the cuffs I believe it dates to the late 30s.

Sheila Dawson likes this.
  5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it is late 1930's also - and a great find!

6. Sheila Dawson

No, the fur part is the top of the collar, if it is removed the collar would be unfinished

7. Sheila Dawson

Thanks for everyone's input, I'm happy with the late 30's to 40's timeline. I love finding treasures like this, makes you wonder about the owner and what they were like.