1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Dirndl Bodice

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Auntie Establishment, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Auntie Establishment

Auntie Establishment Registered Guest

I'm looking to date this dirndl bodice/vest. It is silk velveteen with a silk lining, edged in a wide middy braid. I believe the middy braid is wool but there is not enough to burn test. Hand and machine stitches throughout. The hooks are inflexible and have flat tops. It does not adjust; the eyes are sewn on to the ribbon and attach to the hooks on one side only. The other side the ribbon is sewn to the middy braid. I've used the searched terms dirndl bodice, corset, lace up, vest, velveteen, silk velvet, antique, Edwardian, victorian, 1930's, 1940's, German, Bavarian, Traditional, etc. I've looked through my archive of 1930s Lutterloh patterns (German). I've found dirndl bodices from the 30s/40s but nothing with hooks and laces. I think this piece may be older. The construction, materials and wear are reminiscent of the late 1800s bodices I've had. If you can point me in the right direction for further research or have knowledge of this type of piece I'd be grateful! UPDATE: Someone had mentioned the shape of the shoulders were more 1950's in style than earlier as I had thought, so when searching I specifically looked at Low German / Dutch traditional dress which has the wider style shoulders. I'm not trying to make this item anything it isn't. But it doesn't scream 1950's to me in its materials and sconstruction. Certainly does match some 1950s patterns out there though! I'm from Wisconsin and I have been to plenty of Norwegian and German festivals where these would be worn and this does not match with my memory of anything worn there. I wish I was still in Wisconsin... I'm sure I could just go to a couple of museums and get answers.

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Karin @Midge, do you have familiarity with this item?

3. Auntie Establishment

Auntie Establishment Registered Guest

Thanks Maggie, I've since learned it is most likely Dutch and from the 1890s to 1900s. But another confirmation would be greatly appreciated!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Maggie! Unfortunately it doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with - I can only speak for the one traditional costume of which I have some of the parts. This item here does look older too to my eyes though, so there's probably a bigger chance it's a traditional item vs. a fashion item.