1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Mar 19, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Hello. Just looking for a more precise date for this dress than what I’m guessing at. Might this be a wedding dress? It’s pretty much straight gown like a sheath dress. Long metal zipper in the back. No tags or labels but a lot/size tag. Seams are pinked and fraying. It’s satin under the lace. Thanks!

73EA1A2E-FBDF-479D-A268-70DFE1E91D0C.jpeg C32DB637-7234-43FE-8698-BD7299BB6F0B.jpeg C1DE0C5C-1C7F-43FC-88D8-1F91310F1060.jpeg 8AD4F75C-8DE6-4837-8D47-39777D94C35C.jpeg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I thought 60s too. I believe that bow at the front is a very 1960s trend, and with a high waist too.

Could be a wedding dress.

I believe that in earlier periods, wedding dresses tended to cover more flesh, meaning they'd have sleeves and wouldn't be very low cut, because they were usually worn in church, of course, and it was normal to dress modestly in church. At some point this became less important, and you start to get sleeveless and more revealing wedding dresses. I don't know exactly this change started. I'm sure it wasn't an overnight thing, and would vary from place to place, family to family, wedding to wedding, religion to religion, etc.

GemGem likes this.
  4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you, I was thinking 60s too!

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Very 1960's!
    Marian

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Agree with 1960s. I can certainly see this worn as a wedding dress, when sleeveless bridal gowns were becoming very popular. Being white, it could of course be for a formal, like a Cotillion or Debutante Ball. It is very lovely.

acceber and Retro Ruth like this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

agree, wonderful 60s and very possibly worn with opera length gloves.

audreyGloves.jpeg

acceber and Retro Ruth like this.
  8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Ohh opera length gloves would look amazing!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.