1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Fur Hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Hi all :)

I found a fur-rimmed hat today at a thrift store and I have absolutely no clue about hats!

The only label is for the United Hatters, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union, which means that it is earlier than 1983 as they merged to form the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union. This much I do know lol.

I'm terrible with figuring out material but the fur around the rim is authentic, although I don't know what type of fur it is. The fur rim becomes quite thick near the front of the but slopes down along the sides to become
    relatively thin at the back. The little part hanging down on the side in the second picture is a little part of the fur that needs to be reattached to the hat (so it's not supposed to be dangling down like that).

Sorry if the photos are not that great quality.

Many thanks :)
    20170621_204857.jpg 20170621_204918.jpg 20170621_204934.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It looks to be made of mink tails, and is from the early 1960s, possibly late 1950s.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Yes, Barbara's the hat queen and she's correct on the fur type too. :)

4. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you so much :) I'm new to the board and very grateful for your insights. It's lovely to know that I can seek help here if I am unsure on a certain item.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Awww, you're welcome anytime.

Tamzzyn likes this.