1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a necklace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Adamina, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Adamina

Adamina Registered Guest

Ive been so curious about the estimate age of this amazing necklace, the beads feel like they maybe some sort of very light wood? Looks to have been hand painted then sealed with something. The necklace itself is braided un-stretchy rope that can be tied at the back. Does anyone happen to *sort of* know when this necklace was from, because I know how difficult it can be to date these sorts of things, I was thinking, could this be from the 1940s? Just because it reminds me of some accessories from the period. Or is this some sort of "newer" hand crafted jewelry? Thank you! A3FA11C4-6147-4008-8C6F-59CC72E4C8D0.jpeg 94194BA9-3B42-4030-B119-B51854368670.jpeg 94FF1BFE-7199-415B-9877-F17F1E01E575.jpeg F21647FD-F952-47B3-9E1C-A06DE4CD4C1C.jpeg A931B25E-C1F4-462D-9A6C-8272F4F186B6.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

We have many members who really know their vintage jewelry (I'm not one of them :) - but the necklace is cute and it's pick-your-own strawberries time here in the northeast. I'll be interested to see the comments, thanks for sharing.

Adamina likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Very cute. It strikes me that strawberries may not have originally been with the cord, ie that someone has strung this at home.

Adamina likes this.
  4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

It reminds a lot of the carved and hand painted jewelry of the 80s/90s with much of it being produced in Southeast Asia. Let's see what others say.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Not at all sure, but it looks home made, of a compo or paper based material. It reminds me of the strawberry craze in the early 1970s.

Adamina likes this.
  6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think the piece is relatively new - '90s or so. I also agree that the berries and the leaves might not be original to the cord. I think the pieces - the strawberries and the leaves are a composite - maybe resin maybe Plaster of Paris or something similar with a high gloss finish applied. They could be from Southeast Asia as Laura suggests. I am not familiar with this type of jewelry. I can tell the pieces are lightweight.

Adamina likes this.