1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating a numbered Christian Dior dress -

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by chloe le fay, Jun 7, 2019.

1. chloe le fay

chloe le fay Registered Guest

Prepping this little beauty to sell. Trying to get the date (and therefore pricing) exactly right is scary! its numbered but the 'London' aspect throws me a little....any ideas? the auction house I bought it from said 40's but im not 100% they knew what they were doing. the lining is hand sewn. Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What is the numbering on the dress? Can you photograph that for us.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Christian Dior London didn't open until 1954, so it can't be before then.

INVINTAGEV and vintagevixen like this.
  4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The label looks much later to me, at a guess I'd say 80s-90s based on the label alone. Are there any other labels?

5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Jonathan, do you have a date for London Dior closing. They were not listed as a couture house in London in the early 80s. Also, the London customer was much more conservative than the French. C

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't know - Marc Bohan was the designer for Dior London, so naturally once he went to Paris after Yves was fired, he brought his safer, more conservative styles with him... The company seems to have gone through a rethink at the same time. Dior New York is from that point on (1961) designed and made in New York under Guy Douvier. It is no longer being designed in Paris and made up in New York. I think I have seen Dior London labels into the late 60s - around the same time that Dior New York labels survive. Perhaps the two disappeared around the same time?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Vintagiality likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I found a top listed as 1970s on etsy with the Christian Dior London label. I shall see if I can find anything later.

8. Chloe Brill

Chloe Brill Registered Guest

Hi got a dior piece today interested to find out a rough age it says Christian dior london made in London and is a 3 piece checked shirt, skirt and bikini top is there any way of finding details online of when it was made theres 1 line in label dont know if that's means anything

Attached Files:

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

@Chloe Brill - welcome to the forums! This is an older thread. Can you please start a new thread in this forum for your question, and post photos of all itms of your set, and all labels? This will help many more people to see your question and hopefully help dating your things. Thank you!