1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Richards Shop Piece

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NaoimiW, Nov 8, 2021.

1. NaoimiW

NaoimiW Registered Guest

In my research, similar labels with the tiny grey fish in the background date from the 1950s to 1970s (see these 50s items here https://advantageinvintage.co.uk/tag/richard-shops-2/) I have not seen any that fold over like the one on this top. My initial thought was this top is 70s, but could it even be late 60s to early 70s? There are no other tags or care symbols. Tag reads Made for Richard Shops in Italy. I know @Retro Ruth wanted to write a bio on Richard Shops ;)
    20211106_101635.jpg 20211106_101528.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I did, but not because I'm particularly knowledgable about them!

nice top, I think you may be right about 70s. Let's see what others think.

3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Something in the back of my mind is associating 1971 with ‘shoelace’ neckline details.. but I’m a bit rusty as not listed many 70s clothes in a while.. so who knows how accurate that is! :)

I’m wondering if the label placement was a decision made down to the nature of the fabric, rather than a particular change of label style (so it wasn’t going to disrupt the knit from the reverse if placed on as a rectangle). Love the sleeve details!

NaoimiW and Retro Ruth like this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes the makes sense, sewing the label into a seam rather than through the knit. The label wasn't designed to be folded.

5. NaoimiW

NaoimiW Registered Guest

That is a smart decision on their part!