1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a vintage Algy Dance Costume

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Linda B, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

I'm having trouble dating this vintage Algy dance costume. Photos below.

The inside is a stretchy material, and the outside is completely covered in sequins. The zipper is heavy-duty with a hook closure at the top of the nape of the neck. Fabric that (I'm guessing) was once white is a bit yellowed.

Looking to find out what era it's from - any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

peaceful vintage likes this.
  2. I'm going to take a wild guess and say 60s based on the label style but wait and see what other, more-knowledgeable-than-me, people say.
    The Algy website states they have a "more than 75 year history".
    You should consider emailing them photos. :)
    Very cool!

peaceful vintage and Linda B like this.
  3. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

Thank you! I'm thinking 60s as well, but it's so hard to tell. I emailed Algy and am waiting for a reply back, so fingers crossed!

4. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

What a wonderful majorette costume! It looks like there is a care label, does it mention the fabric and what does it suggest? The styles do not change much through the years but with the colors and care instructions I suspect it to be a tad later, possibly 1970's. I hope the company will be able to help you and I look forward to what they may know. I am sure others will help with sleuthing your delightful piece.

5. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

It unfortunately does not list the fabric, but the care instructions are:

"THIS IS A PRESTIGE GARMENT"
    Special care must be exercised with this valuable property.
    DO NOT allow perfume, deodorant, hair sprays or alcoholic beverages to come into contact with sequins. If garment should become dampened with perspiration or water, follow these instructions:
    1. Do not place garment in an airtight container or plastic bag.
    2. Dry garment completely in air - DO NOT use heat.
    3. When certain garment is dry and needs cleaning, USE A PROFESSIONAL DRY CLEANER ONLY. INSTRUCT CLEANER TO DRY WITHOUT HEAT. INSTRUCT CLEANER NOT TO USE STEAM OR PRESS.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I associate that zig-zag sequin pattern with cocktail and evening dresses from the mid to late 60's.
    Can you show the zip tag please?

7. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

You'll have to forgive me, but is this what you mean by "zip tag"? The actual pull says "ROBIN" on it. The back of the zipper says "USA".

Attached Files:

8. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

HI Linda, That costume is awesome! I would place my bet on late 60's - early 70's.

9. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

I love it SO much. I'm so, so mad it doesn't fit me. BOO.