1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Vintage Burberry Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Laura Harper-Edwards, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Laura Harper-Edwards

Laura Harper-Edwards Registered Guest

I bought my husband a secondhand Burberry coat for Christmas. He's a history buff so I'd love to be able to tell him the decade it's from! It's camel coloured, no nova check, no care label that I can see, no Burberry name on the buttons, has an order number in the inner pocket, etc. I believe it is wool. I've attached photos below. From reading other threads on here, I see Burberry dropped the 'S' in the late '90s, but if anyone could help me pinpoint a more exact year, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

PXL_20201108_104949682.jpg PXL_20201108_104957970.jpg PXL_20201108_105020511.jpg PXL_20201108_105044624.jpg PXL_20201108_105005461.jpg

2. Laura Harper-Edwards

I've been trying to do some more research. Could it possibly be from the early 1960's as it doesn't have care instructions? I read that care labels came in in the 1960/70's. Or is it more likely to be 1980's and someone just carefully removed the label?

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Just looking at the Burberry label and comparing to the label resource, it's most similar to the 70s and 80s labels - note the presence of REGD under 'Burberrys' on the left, which isn't there on the 60s labels.

You would expect a care and fabric content label for that period though, so perhaps as you say it has been removed.

The peaked lapels may mean something to someone regarding the date (someone who knows more about men's coats than I do!)

It's a wonderful coat and your husband is very lucky.

daniel hopcroft likes this.
  4. Laura Harper-Edwards

Thank you, Ruth! I hadn't noticed the REGD previously. I think you might be right - it is most similar to the 70s and 80s labels. Thank you, again :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. xxyalan

xxyalan Registered Guest

Hi OP could you please confirm if it is a wool coat? found a similar one online for sale. do you recommend the coat?

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forums, @xxyalan - please note this was originally posted in November 2020 and the OP hasn't been back to these forums since, so she will probably not notice your post.

7. xxyalan

xxyalan Registered Guest

Hi Midge, thanks for your response. Let's see if she does log in / any other members has the same coat, though quite unlikely but that's ok..