1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Vintage Ladies Hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by steve w, Mar 6, 2021.

1. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Hi I am trying to get an approximate date for this hat - My feeling is 1930's- 1940's but I could be completely wrong, so any help would be greatly appreciated ..There is a small label with size but no other IMG_7644.jpeg IMG_7645.jpeg IMG_7646.jpeg IMG_7649.jpeg IMG_7651.jpeg , ..Thank you !

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I tried enlarging the size label, what are the complete details on it other then the size?

Did the hat pin come with the hat or something you added?

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My feeling is your lovely little hat is from the 1950s, early in the decade.

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Yes 50s but I think later 50s then early.

5. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thank you - The pin came with the hat ..Here is a full size pic of the label but all it has is 22 - I need to check what else is written there as I cant make it out either ,.,

IMG_7651.jpeg

6. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thank you the hat pin came with the hat - I will try and get a better pic of the label

7. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

THANK YOU ..COULD WELL BE - i CANT RECALL WHERE I GOT IT FROM! BUT WILL GO WITH 50's ...

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The little hatpin is a standard glass head hat pin, probably not original to the hat and will not help with dating. The lady may have added a veil to the hat and so needed the hatpin. Do you see and remains of a veil on the underside? The little initials on the tag is just confirming that the size "22" is standard milliner sizing. I forget what it stands for, something like Millinery Sizing Counsel/commission, etc. You do not see them much on hats at all, not after the early 1950s. But I dated it based on the style and materials used. It could be later 1950s but would not be the latest style for that time period in millinery, it would seem a little matronly.

9. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Ah, I have not seen those initials before, what was the " Millinery Sizing Counsel " or perhaps a better question, the reason for their existence/purpose?

I thought later 50s due to the top finish, a little flirtish.

Like the bejeweled headband, bow could do with reforming or could the hatpin have been used to keep that together and attaching something else to it?