1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating an antique wedding dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Apr 4, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

This was sold to me as Victorian but I think it’s into the 1900s. It reminds me of another wedding dress I posted a long time ago that was dated to 1913 or so. It closes in the front with strategically placed hooks. What do you think? Also, what do you suppose the odds are of cleaning it up a little? I am very behind the “do no harm” way of thinking but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks!

BDDCDF2C-C973-4FB9-A4E3-8CE7868EDCFA.jpeg AFECBB76-F1A6-403C-8F01-9D6B871BDC8D.jpeg 41F2096B-2C21-4CD6-9A95-33457C19DC4E.jpeg F9D8BFAA-536C-44A3-A967-B5A6F357B3D4.jpeg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

1913 - 1915
    83146-soulie-1913-pour-un-grand-mariage-wedding-dress-evening-gowns-db812d5573f8-hprints-com.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    acceber, Vinclothes and GemGem like this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Gosh it very much reminds me of the costumes Queen Mary (Miranda Richardson) wore in 'The Lost Prince' (wonderful film!) which was set in Edwardian period between around 1910-1919. So that does fit. It is a wonderful wonderful find!

acceber likes this.
  4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you very much! I am pleased to know I wasn’t too far off! I love the graphic, but it has me wondering - is this dress a wedding dress as I thought? It looks so much like those other dresses that the only “wedding” detail about it seems to be the color.

5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I think all these are wedding dresses. I see writing on the bottom of the image Jonathan posted that says “pour un grand mariage” which means “for a big wedding”

acceber likes this.
  6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The color, satin, lace, pearls and train together - wedding! I think the illustration is a bride and her guests or wedding party? I wish I could read the text.... not that my non-existent French would help.

As to cleaning - don't get the pearls wet! They may melt. I'd just air it out and give it a light steam.

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you. I think I will leave it as it is!

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

acceber likes this.