1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating an embroidered sweater

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AuroraNox, Jan 7, 2021.

1. AuroraNox

AuroraNox Registered Guest

Hi,
    I would be very grateful for any help with dating this woolen sweater with flower embroidery. The string tie at the neck and the fact that it's tight waisted makes me think of 40s, but then again te embroidery type might be 70s as well as 40s. The shank type buttons are metal on the inside and knitted over.

Two of the pictures are of the inside.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a dirndl cardigan to me, something to go with a traditional dirndl dress from Austria or Germany... these are hard to date as they are less about fashion but more about the traditional style elements.

3. AuroraNox

AuroraNox Registered Guest

I completely forgot that I posted this question here! Thank you for the reply, I have later de-clothed one of the buttons and a girl on a vintage facebook group told me she has seen several 70s sweaters with buttons just like mine. I already sold the sweater as "most likely 70s" :)

Retro Ruth and Midge like this.