1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating and Identification of NOS Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by crushvintage, Jun 20, 2011.

1. crushvintage

crushvintage Registered Guest

First I would like to apologize for the upside down (and large!) image. I can't seem to find any topics on how to insert an image in the correct size...any links to threads that you would like to forward to me would be welcome!

I have this New with Tags (new old stock) dress that looks 1950's to me. It has a metal side zip and partial button front.
    I have researched the brand "Miss Virginias Frocks Dallas" and have come up empty handed.
    It is made of 65% Celanese Fortrel Polyester and 35% Cotton.
    Any help identifying this beauty would be much appreciated!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. joules

joules VFG Member

I think your pretty aqua seafoam dress is very early 60s.
    I say this due to the Celanese Fortrel Polyester content as noted on the tag.

Bit of polyester history:
    "Other US companies chose to await expiration of the Whinfield and Dickson
    patent before entering the market. One of the earliest to become involved was
    Celanese Corporation, whose joint venture with ICI, named Fiber Industries Inc.
    (FII; Fortrel ), began construction of its first PET plant in 1959."

3. missproper

missproper Alumni

I agree with Joules, it must be very early 60's.

Such a pretty dress - love it

4. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I agree on early 60s, it's a sweet housewife frock.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that sweet neckline shape and ruffle with lace make this shirtwaist dress way more special, too! great find! oh, and also agree early 60s. :)

6. crushvintage

crushvintage Registered Guest

Thank you everyone for the identification!

Tina

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Adorable dress, and yes, early 60s instead of 50s, especially given the fiber content.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

May I just add... I think Miss Virginias Frocks in Dallas was the store where it should have been sold originally, and Rosewood, from the hang tag, would be the manufacturer...

Karin