1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating and identifying hallmark on belt buckle

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out this hallmark, and hopefully date this lovely belt buckle. Thanks!
    IMG_20150119_150507_132.jpg IMG_20150119_150529_359.jpg IMG_20150119_150551_944.jpg upload_2015-1-19_17-12-51.png

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi, that's not a hallmark (which is an official mark on precious metals) but perhaps a brand logo and manufacturer's ref. number, probably for the design.
    The buckle design is art nouveau in style, but I suspect the buckle is not very old at all and made in an antique style - you can see the base metal underneath the worn parts.
    This type of fastening on a belt buckle is one I have seen within the last 10 years on wide belts intended for the hips rather than the waist. The silver metal blob on the back probably had a ball ended prong on it that has broken off - this would go through the holes in a leather belt.

3. Villa

Villa Registered Guest

I know this! Can't remember this minute, wait, got it. Bergamot Brass Works. I have a similar Art Nouveau style buckle. I'd imagine they are from the 70's perhaps, though I believe they are still in business.