1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating asian blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

any help dating this blouse would be much appreciated - has a size 4 label. thanks so much!

_MG_2217.jpg _MG_2213.jpg _MG_2216.jpg _MG_2215.jpg _MG_2214.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would think late 50s - cute!

Aimee likes this.
  3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it's later - I am fairly sure that size 4 first appeared in 1968-1969 in the US. It could also be later '70's or late '80s. I got married in 1988 and my dress had covered buttons and Chinese cutwork. It's very cute!

Aimee likes this.
  4. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thanks all! Sincerely appreciate it! : )

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

These are difficult to date as they made them over several decades. I would say it is older mainly due to the dark embroidery outlining the rest, that is unusual in the later models. Also the cut of this one seems more like 50s to me.

6. Linn

I didn't/don't see that as dark thread - I see it as open spaces between the white threads. Several years ago I spent a lot of time going through sources to determine when size 4 first appeared and it was the late 1960s. I wonder if this piece could be an '80's does '50's? I remember cutwork was very popular in the late '70's and early '80's, also. It may have had a midi-length skirt that went with it.

7. poppysvintageclothing

I used to buy these for myself brand new from a large Chinese import shop in Montreal back in the late 1960s and the ones I bought were sized as 34 / 36 / 38 etc.

I wonder if the size 4 could actually be Chinese sizing (not made for export).

Curious to know if it is open work or darker embroidery, as Linn and I saw it differently.

I actually have a few now that I have purchased as new old stock from a Chinese import shop that closed down in the late 1980s and still had old store stock, in the original plastic bags. The only problem with these is that they have yellowed where the fold lines, simply from age. I need to launder all of them. Some of the ones I have are actually from the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. I have a couple right near me, only one has a size label and it is a 36.

The texture of the silk is often different with the older models.

8. Linn

The fabric of the top Aimee is asking about looks to me like it is linen or cotton not silk. I think size 4 is an American size. That doesn't mean that the top was made in the US - it could have been imported but if it is from the '60s and from Hong Kong it would be marked 34 or 36 - not 4.

This is the only photo I have scanned of my wedding dress. It by Nancy Johnson, the label says Linen, made in Hong Kong - and coincidentally it is a size 4. I bought it in SF in early March of 1988. It is a little more ecru and the covered buttons are crocheted. Lots of cutwork on the peplum and skirt but it doesn't show in the photo. I still have it - Maybe I'll take a quick photo with my phone!

[​IMG]

9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Beautiful - both the dress and the bride! And you look so happy.
    Marian

10. Linn

Just took quick photos with my phone:

[​IMG]

This shows how long the skirt is. It has shoulder pads - very '80's and with a big nod to the '40s!

[​IMG]

I will have to scan a photo of me wearing it that shows more of the dress.

11. Linn

Thank you, Marion. It was a very happy day!

12. poppysvintageclothing

13. Linn, your happiness on that day was quite apparent! Lovely photo!

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

The shape with that nipped-in waist and those darts/pleats at the waist make me think 50s too. You see this a lot in 1950s blouses and blouse sewing patterns, because these were all worn tucked into a skirt or pants. I have used a few 1950s patterns, and this is just so typical.

15. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you all for your help!

You looked stunning on your special day, Linn! Thank you for sharing :wub: