1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating earlier textile

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattysattic, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

775D1515-9CB7-494A-9694-1D50228EF075.jpeg B7A7E41D-8CE4-4A79-BF9D-642C6DCFF687.jpeg EEEBE1C4-D008-40CE-96FC-3466A61E0A0B.jpeg

Hi! It’s been a long time since I posted here.. in fact so long I hope I still get it right! I’ve used thumbnails as not sure if images will be too big.

I have this fairly early pouch/work bag that I’d like to date more precisely.

The embroidery looks like it has been hand done on a silk woven ground.. tiny stitches.. shape is almost boat like (as in early 1800s work bags?) but not quite.

Very open to opinions! Thank you!
    Harriet

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It certainly looks like an 18th century embroidery that was recut into the workbag at a later date (since the seams cut into the embroidery design) Perhaps it was a vest originally?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Harriet, so nice to hear from you! What a lovely pouch bag. Does look very old with that workmanship.