1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating help :Italian linen dress faded brand label. Looks 20s but label looks 50s Possibly 50s 60s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Anna Evans, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Anna Evans

Anna Evans Registered Guest

20190827_173312.jpg

I would be very grateful for anyone's insight on dating/placing this dress in context. I bought it in a charity shop in Florence, Italy. My original instinct on seeing the dress was that it was an original deco era dress. Then, on closer inspection, I saw the content label and Italian size label. These definitely look much later. The label looks 50s in style but it's very hard to decipher as it's faded. It looks like GF (stylised monogram) followed by 'effigi'. There may well be a letter in front of effigi, possibly an L. This brand label looks like a 50s label to me. However, other aspects of the garment make me think it could be later. I spent 3 years in Italy and some of the garments I acquired there can throw me a little date-wise.

I cannot detect a care label, but there is a content label hidden in a seam near the hem. It looks like a content label to guide the manufacturers/retailers rather than a label for customers' information. The fabric % has been 'stamped' onto a list of fabrics, hence my reasoning. The list reads Lino cottone nylon, with 'lino' stamped as 100%.

Perhaps someone has information the history of Italian/European labelling law history and can shed some light on this?

Many thanks, as ever.

20190828_115354.jpg 20190827_173535.jpg

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it may be from the 80s, let's see what others have to say.

Anna Evans likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Although stylistically the dress could pass for the mid 50s, I think Mary Jane is right and its 1980s doing retro 50s - a look I associate with the early-mid 80s, c. 1983ish? Princess Diana used to wear a lot of that look.

Anna Evans likes this.
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks '80's to me, too.

Anna Evans likes this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

7. Anna Evans

Thankyou all! I am very grateful! I keep getting thrown by the Italian labels/garments. Perhaps it's the fact the Italians were not so into the synthetics in the later years of the 20th century. I still have a lot to learn

8. Anna Evans

Yes, I agree- about the 50s revival in the 80s. The Italians do such lovely repro that it fools me from time to time. Thanks Jonathan!

9. Anna Evans

Many thanks Cinthia. Very grateful

10. Anna Evans

Thankyou Karin!

11. Anna Evans

Many thanks for your help Linn!

12. Anna Evans

Thankyou so much Mary Jane!