1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating help with an Andell May Dallas 30s/40s Jumpsuit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Caleb Phillips, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Caleb Phillips

Caleb Phillips Registered Guest

Hello! I found this cute little romper/jumpsuit and the tag is frayed so I can't quite see the full label. Has anyone heard of or seen this label before? Also not quite sure the decade it's from. I think 30s/40s but any insight would be incredibly helpful. Thank you!

20211004-DSC_0759.jpg 20211004-DSC_0765.jpg 20211004-DSC_0772.jpg 20211004-DSC_0776.jpg 20211004-DSC_0777.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Some sort of sporting uniform? Or gym?

Caleb Phillips likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I think the zipper is in the front. I also see some sort of uniform. I love this!

Caleb Phillips and Jonathan like this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I see 40s. Does it say Randell-May?

I found something by a similar name but different spelling "all" instead of "ell" but what I found was established in 1981 and they deal with drums and marching band equipment.

So I wonder if this may have been a marching band uniform if there is any old connection to this name, probably not.

6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

The label isn’t missing letters. It is Andell-May. Here is an example. I will try to find something about the company when I get a moment
    ABA63001-96B4-4BC6-B322-EF680ECC8C93.jpeg

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks like an early 50s housedress/sportswear to me. The sort of thing a mom would wear to clean house and go pick up the kids from school...
    house dress 8.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  8. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I see a 1957 ad for Andell-May Jumperalls which may be what your garment was referred to

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I think this is not a dress, as it has legs as a jumpsuit would. The label seems to indicate it was sold with some utilitarian use in mind. Reminds me of the jumpsuits worn by women working in factories and warehouses in WWII, or some industrial work place, but this seems a little later than that. Could be sportswear. I can see a woman wearing this for bowling, golfing, etc.

The Vintage Merchant and GemGem like this.
  11. Caleb Phillips

Thank you so much! I was so confused about the label.

12. Caleb Phillips

Thank you everyone for your input!

13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A 1959 article stated: “Philip Andell and David May…joined forces in 1952 in Dallas and began production of dresses, sportswear, and velveteen coats under the Andell-May Specialties label.”

poppysvintageclothing likes this.