1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Violet6763

Violet6763 Registered Guest

I discovered this in a bag of vintage clothes I bought a long time ago that all needed repair. It was in a ball and I admit I never looked at it. Today I have looked at it and realised it may be older than I realised. I've researched the label and discovered lots about scarves. Can anyone tell me more? 20160923_184111.jpg 20160923_104028.jpg 20160923_184533.jpg 20160923_104017.jpg 20160923_103954.jpg 20160923_103721.jpg 20160923_103703.jpg 20160923_103639.jpg 20160923_103710.jpg

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, I went ahead and rotated your photos for you so everyone could see them the right way. This looks like it dates to the later 40s to me. Let's see what others have to say and if they know more about the maker other than that they made scarves.

front.jpeg
    backagain.jpeg
    inside.jpeg
    insideseams.jpeg
    labeltwice.jpeg
    Button hole below
    buttonhole.jpeg

3. Violet6763

Thank you so much.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I wonder if it might be from the late 70s or early 80s. I used to have a few Jacqmar outfits and blouses that I used to wear in the 80s.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing 1950's.

peaceful vintage and Violet6763 like this.
  6. Violet6763

I would be astounded if it was from the 70s or 80s. The stitches work is nothing like anything I have from those eras

7. peaceful vintage

8. Violet6763

I found loads on scarves but there is a Jacqmar dress in the Victoria & Albert museum, London.

9. peaceful vintage

I found a few Jacqmar clothing pieces. None of which have your exact label but one of them is closer than the others.

This label is listed to be for a 50s skirt on Etsy however I think it's likely to be from the 60s;
    label:
    Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 5.18.25 PM.png
    Listing:
    Code:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/453639808/vintage-womens-skirt-jacqmar-designer?ref=market
    This label is listed to be for an 80s blazer on Etsy. It's really blurry. I am sorry.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 5.26.14 PM.png
    Listing:
    Code:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/242381673/vintage-cardigan-jacket-80s-by-jacqmar?ref=market
    This one is not dated but is a Jacqmar jacket on eBay and it shows the construction inside:
    Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 5.30.35 PM.png
    Listing:
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ladies-Jacqmar-Jacket-Size-10-NWT-/222168991980?hash=item33ba4dc8ec:m:mTwmQOSBVfue8FIs1i4tFwg

10. poppysvintageclothing

I wish I still had the pieces I'm referring to as they were of very fine quality fabric and very well styled, it was one of the reasons I liked them so much as their items had an older look to them.

Your piece may well be older but it is difficult to find much out about the company except for their scarves and them being a textile company from the 30s. The address lists this as a historic building in London...so it would be good to id when they occupied it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  11. poppysvintageclothing

I have found an interesting article and if the dress is 50s, the head designer at the time was Victor Steibel before him it was Bianca Mosca, who was actually a cousin of Elsa Schiaparelli.

also found a label similar to yours but there is no black line edging around the name.
    They are stating it is a 50s dress on the blog but it looks 60s to me.

Jacqmar Label 1.jpg

Jacqmar Label.jpg

this second label is attributed to a 40s jacket.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Can you show us the details of the upper sleeves and underarm area, please? In the early photo the upper arms and underarms look rather tight to the body, giving it a more 1950s style. In the later photos the underarms and upper sleeves look looser which could indicate a 1980s dress. Can you show the inside of the shoulders, do you think there were ever any shoulder pads in there?

I get a general "80 does 50s" sense from this. Although the seam allowance seems wide for the 1980s. Unless that is a style of the maker.

nsweezie likes this.
  13. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

My feeling... the label looks late 70s... the fabric though looks like a late 50s man-made fabric that was very popular in the US for mens and little boys jackets... the style is very 50s looking to me... but I wonder why such a fancy store (there's a blog from the Museum of London about its history!) wouldn't fully line the jacket. Even a spring/summer weight jacket would have a light lining not this partial lining. I'm confused by that.

I think it's a revival piece... late 70s-1980. At this time, not holding it myself etc. Curious to follow this thread. Thanks for the lessons!

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I think this is 1950's and the lining was damaged and removed. The label doesn't look like it was originally attached like that so was probably salvaged from the lining. I see New Look period most definitely. That wonderful seaming would look great when properly presented over a full skirted dress/petticoats. (I even wondered if this is a coat/dress?)

15. peaceful vintage

16. poppysvintageclothing

I actually had this suit in my ruby lane shop which was made of jacqmar fabric, I had forgotten about it...but here it is.

Jacqmar Suit.jpg

17. peaceful vintage

I had seen that and when I clicked on it, there was a link that said poppy on RL but it said it was no longer available and I wondered if that was you. :)

18. Violet6763

The arms are tight and three quarter length. The shoulders are narrow. No shoulder pads have been used. The lining as such is hemmed with tiny hand stitches. When put on it nips in at the waist and then the skirt is very full and below the knees. Definitely the new look look

Attached Files:

19. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

The shape of that collar does not look 70s or 80s at all to me, nor does the interior construction. I would've said it was late 40s or early 50s and it looks like it could've been a coat, and maybe even shortened at some point.