1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating hook closure dress - which side is the front?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

hello all - having trouble dating this dress. it is a sheer material, there is some color bleed throughout & staining. there are two side pockets, no shoulder pads. there is a hook closure with boning on both sides and i can't tell if it's meant to be worn in the front or back. i've attached some photos any help would be much appreciated!
    30s ballerina rose dress 2.jpg 30s ballerina rose dress.jpg
    _MG_9851.jpg _MG_9853.jpg _MG_9871.jpg _MG_9870.jpg

2. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

i know it's silly but i really can't tell :puzzled:

hooks in front copy.jpg hooks in back copy.jpg

3. Absinthium

Absinthium Registered Guest

I am by no means an expert in women's fashion, but to me, from the pictures on the mannequin, it looks like it closes in the back? Or at least it seems to look better that way, with a better fit over the chest, where it seems to sag a bit more in general with the hooks in front??

Aimee likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

No bust darts - there are two seams in the center on the side with no closures.

seams.jpg _MG_9860.jpg

The side with closures has gathering on the sides and is baggy, leading to confusion on my part thought that may be room for bust? but completely unsure
    gathering.jpg

6. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

any thoughts on decade? also puzzled with that

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

So it like shirred on the sides. I would say then late 40s or early 50s. I can see why you are confused about what is the front and back.
    I cannot make up my mind either. It almost seems the hooked side has more room to hold a bosom but it is really difficult to know without holding this one. I wonder if it may have a lacy jabot insert for the front that would have come down and covered the hooks and eyes.

GemGem and Aimee like this.
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's using the corset hook and eyelet closure, which was used from c. 1940 to 1955, especially by Claire McCardell. The dress looks early 50s to me. and I would say it closes in the back...

9. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you both so much! Sincerely appreciate it, just looked at some Claire McCardell dresses and they do look very similar. Thanks again!

10. I agree back closure and 1950s.

If these came with the floral blouse, then the blouse may be home sewn for the 1950s.

GemGem and Aimee like this.
  11. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Closure does look much better in the back. This dress came from a different collection than the floral blouse rb emoti

GemGem likes this.