1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating + identifying black fur coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lunaloomer, Nov 22, 2019.

1. lunaloomer

lunaloomer Registered Guest

Hi all!

I just acquired this coat that the previous owner claimed was chinchilla fur and dated 1920s. Obviously I want to confirm this (or not) myself. There's a fair bit of wear and tear to it and was wondering if it would be worth taking it to a furrier for repairs.

The skins must be too large for them to be chinchilla, right? The fur feels VERY soft and dense. More likely rex rabbit maybe, as it's dyed black? Each skin measures approximately 30 x 40cm.

No labels to be seen, I was told that it was re-lined in the 60s.

20191122_112746.jpg 20191122_112700.jpg 20191122_103045.jpg 20191122_103007.jpg

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi, It's definitely not chinchilla. It looks like sheared muskrat from what I can see but if I can the back it might help me more to see the definition and size of the pelts which can help me to identify it with more certainty. The lining does look like it could date to the 50s or 60s but I cannot tell if it was really relined without seeing the full lining. The coat doesn't look like it dates to the 20s.