1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating & identifying brocade paisley dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by stainedglass, Aug 8, 2017.

1. stainedglass

stainedglass Registered Guest

Hi! I purchased this dress from a closing antique store early this year and I'm a bit confused. It has a metal zipper, appears to be handmade, and has high slits on both sides. The slits go to the very upper thigh. I know that there are indian(?) outfits that have dress-like tunics that are supposed to be worn with pants, is this one of those? And when is it from? Also, how do you describe this fabric.. brocade?
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    IMG_9367.JPG IMG_9368.JPG IMG_9370.JPG

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think it's a fairly contemporary Indian to be worn with Indian style slacks and sari.

TaraIndia likes this.
  3. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

I agree with Cinthia. It's contemporary and is the top part of a salwar kameez outfit which would include trousers and a dupatta (long scarf). These are often custom-stitched so wouldn't have a label.

4. stainedglass

stainedglass Registered Guest

Thanks guys! Kind of figured after getting it home and just don't know what to do with it now.

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I have sold these on eBay but not as vintage, of course. They have become popular with boho mamas, being worn as maternity.

StitchesandSnags and Retro Ruth like this.