1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating / Info about vintage mink Martha Weathered coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by catherineallyn, Feb 13, 2018.

1. catherineallyn

catherineallyn Registered Guest

Hello!

I purchased this coat from a resale shop today and I really don't know anything about it. I know zero about vintage fashion and furs so any help or information is appreciated! Also, me assuming it's mink is a guess.

Thanks! :)
    IMG_9840 (2).jpg IMG_9841 (2).jpg
    IMG_9839 (2).jpg

2. dorkbait

dorkbait Registered Guest

Your assumption is spot on, definitely looks to be pastel mink. Based on the cut, 50s or 60s. I lean toward 60s because of the lapel. The lining is gorgeous with all the embroidery and the monogram - it fits with what I was able to google about the brand, which is that Martha Weathered was an import fashion shop on Michigan Avenue in Chicago (read: swanky) from the 1920s-1970s. The intricacy and level of customization fits with the wealthy clientele her shop would have catered to, and I would not be surprised if the item was a bespoke piece.

Here's an article about an exhibition of the clothing she sold: http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...of-chicagos-most-luxuri-2013-03-27-story.html