1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating & info help 1800s Dunn and Mccarthy granny boots

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by migerrin, Nov 21, 2018.

1. migerrin

migerrin Registered Guest

Can anyone help me get more info on these granny / witch boots? My granddad (born 1920) had saved them and said they were from the 1800s. They have Dunn and Mccarthy Makers on the bottom. One has # 260-41621 inside, as well as what looks like a U20 or 220. The other has 260 41621 (no dash). I've searched online and found info that Dunn & Mccarthy made shoes from around 1867 or so, but I can't find any pics or reference to this specific logo or a specific year, factory etc.. I see similar ones listed places as Victorian, but was hoping for any specifics. They are lace up boots and appear to be leather. They have been stored in a shoe7.JPG shoe8.JPG shoe3.JPG shoe6.JPG shoe9.JPG shoe10.JPG shoe1.JPG shoe2.JPG shoe4.JPG box and I have not cleaned, polished or done anything to them. Thanks for the help! shoe7.JPG shoe8.JPG shoe7.JPG shoe8.JPG

196t's and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Dunn & McCarthy were founded in 1867 in Auburn, New York by John Dunn. He used inmates from the nearby Auburn jail as labour. Its most famous brands were Enna Jetticks, and Hill & Dale, both introduced in the 1930s. The company filed for bankruptcy in 1989, closed in 1990, and the factory burned down in a spectacular fire in 1993. Your boots are c. 1915-20 (Louis heels, pointed toes, lower calf height -- these are all typical features of the era, just before boots feel from fashion.)

MagsRags and 196t's like this.