1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Jean Muir Boucle Skirt Suit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Sep 30, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hello everyone,

I'm posting a new query regarding this wonderful Jean Muir skirt suit (I love the cut of it, and the colour!).

I haven't been able to find any examples of Jean Muir using boucle fabrics (with accurate dating) and was wondering if any fabulous experts here would be able to date this.

I currently have it listed as most likely early 80's.
    Using the label resource here is looks most like the 70's label example but also could be the 80's example. I have two other boucle suits by Jean Muir so it's certainly not an isolated piece.

The last picture with the measurement is to show a close up of the collar shape.

Grateful for any help.

IMG_5599.jpg IMG_5632.jpg IMG_5611.jpg IMG_5612.jpg IMG_5630.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I believe it's 80s.

GemGem likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thank you Cin!

Could you tell me what flags it up as 80's to you?

I had it pegged as early 80's but also thought it possible to be late 70's because of the label in the label resource match and the care instructions format on the labels. I have a great deal of clothing from one auction and most items seem to be early 80's with some late 70's and I have a few which could possibly be earlier (but nothing concrete as yet),

Have a thirst for knowledge at this point, and would just love to find out more about the pieces, do you know much about the Jean Muir journey design wise?

Gem

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Sorry for the late reply... I was away but back again!

What points to 80s for me is the cut of the jacket (in particular the more open collar), length of the skirt and that fabric/color... it was very popular in the latter 80s.

I don't know much about Jean Muir per se but recall it being an affordable option for the professional woman who couldn't afford the designer fashions.

GemGem likes this.