1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

I need help dating this kimono. I got it at an estate sale with quite a few Asian/Asian-inspired items, including Dynasty dresses and lounge sets/pajamas. The ribbon in the pictures is my own and not original. The interior has long ribbon ties on one side that tie through loops on the opposite side. The exterior has a metal hook and thread loop at the waist. Unfortunately, it is heavily stained, and my dry cleaner couldn't get it out. I don't think I can soak it. I can't quite figure out the material. It's "rough" kind of like rayon. It is fully lined. No labels.

I also found an obi (?) at this estate sale, but I'm not sure if it goes with the kimono. I'll try to get some pictures of it later today.

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

So pretty.

Dating kimonos...not the easiest, at least for me. The fabric though, I wonder if there are a few threads you could cut and burn. I'll bet it's silk.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is very pretty indeed. Like Maggie, I suspect it is silk. From the look of it, it might be a silk faille or silk crepe.

4. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

Now that I've looked at the fabric resource again, this is definitely some sort of crepe. The lining is completely stitched down, though, so there's nowhere to snip a thread for a burn test. Am I correct in calling this a kimono? It doesn't have any belt loops on the outside.

5. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

I'm no expert and can't give you any advice ...but wow! This is gorgeous I am so in love with the print! Nice find

6. Lucybelle

Lucybelle Registered Guest

Yes. it's a kimono. The term kimono encompasses several different styles and are dependent on gender, age and marital status. Fabric patterns and color palettes are specific to different seasons or specific occasions. I would say this is most likely a komon (an everyday kimono to wear "in town") based on the fact that the textile has an overall pattern Can you tell if it is all hand sewn? That is a marker of an authentic kimono. As far as date, I would place it in the Showa period (1926-1990). It shouldn't have belt loops and I am wondering if the hook and eye was added later. Everything should be tied in place.

The best way to clean a lined kimono like that is take it completely apart and stitch it back together (I have made several kimono using traditional techniques and warn that this is a time consuming undertaking). In traditional construction, no seam allowances would be trimmed. That would allow for flipping sleeves if they developed wear.