1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating lovely green cotton velvet gown, 50's or what?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

This dress is so fetching, but I'm having trouble dating it. There are no labels. It has a metal conmar side zip. The fabric is very Scarlett O'Hara's famous curtain gown. There are small snap fasteners (I assume to hold one's bra straps), and the front bodice is lined in a sheer net. There are remnants of a green lace netting on the underside of the neckline detail. The shape/style (sweetheart neckline, tea-length skirt) at first said 50's to me, but the more I look at it and touch it, I wonder if I'm totally off. I would love any help dating this beauty, and any thoughts on this style in general. Thanks!
    2015-04-29 16.02.25.jpg 2015-04-29 16.04.05.jpg 2015-04-29 16.02.59.jpg 2015-04-29 16.07.54.jpg 2015-04-29 16.08.21.jpg 2015-04-29 16.10.32.jpg 2015-04-29 16.08.51.jpg

2. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

I would've said 50s -- what makes you think that's off?

3. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks, Jen. I'm still learning so much about construction. The net lining and fastenings (zipper, snaps) seem older than what I generally encounter in 50's dresses to me, but I'm aware that this may be the result of a home sewer using older materials. I'm also unfamiliar with the seaming details on the bodice (the waistline in particular) and the neckline detail/flap, so am unsure when those details were in fashion. I've also been wondering if the dress would look better with a crinoline? Thanks again.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I think no later than 50's, but that inverted waistline does make me wonder if it's not 1940's. Hopefully others more knowledgeable on this period will chime in.

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  5. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks, Melanie!

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member