1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating / material advice on these NOS dress belt buckles with rhinestones?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Midge, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Here comes more of the NOS stuff I found at the Caritas shop before I went on holiday. They're all some kind of plastic, set with clear rhinestones and tiny metal (?) studs. They're polished on the front side, on the backside they're matte. I put them on my scanner, that works probably better than photographing them. They're light weight, and not very thick.

buckles1.jpg

buckles2.jpg

I tried rubbing them to test for the material, but am not getting a distinguishable smell. Have any of you seen similar ones before? Any advice on dating them? My initial hunch had been 20s, but maybe I'm completely off. The things they had ranged from 1910s to 50s roughly.

Thanks for any info! I might post more buckles later, if I hit a wall again... :wacko:

Karin

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

They are lovely, and they all look 1930's to me.

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Yes, 1930's. There were a number of early composition plastics - not just bakelite - that were used for buckles.
    Marian

4. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Fabulous. I sort of have a thing for vintage buckles and have many. I find them very undervalued.
    As a collection framed I think they would be wonderful.
    I had a plastic book once and should of not sold it.
    People do not realize there were many, many, many types of early plastics.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, thanks everybody! I guess there are a lot of plastics we have no idea of... I'll post the remaining buckles too, they're different kinds again but I have an inkling their 30s too.

Karin

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

If you ever want to part with the pink one, think of me!

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with everyone - 1930's and great finds!

Linn

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Gorgeous finds! I am sure you will make great use of some of these and you can sell those that you don't love as much!