1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating/Materials for Necklace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagealways, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Vintagealways

Vintagealways Registered Guest

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

I know that this style is usually milkglass, but the necklace seems so lightweight and the white beads are perfect. Possible for it to be plastic? Would you date it as late 1950s, early 1960s?

Second image is not very clear, but it shows the clasp. Just a hook with a bead.

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

You can tell if it's glass or plastic by tapping one of the beads against your teeth. Glass will make more of a click sound than a dull clunk. Also, glass is heavier than plastic - and it is cooler so if you put your lips to the beads that should tell you. I would date the necklace C. 1950s. When you use C. it's a range of ten years - so it could be very early '60's also.

I can't tell by your photo but it looks like there are light blue rhinestones above the white beads.

3. Vintagealways

Vintagealways Registered Guest

Photo color is a bit off. Just regular, clear rhinestones, but a bit tarnished. Thank you so much! I will do as you suggest to test.