1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Moordale 2pc suit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Aug 16, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I am so sad over the missing buttons. They must have been spectacular for every one of them to be missing. It’s not letting me upload some of the pics despite my cropping them down to little sizes. Missing is the metal zipper on the left side of the skirt, the deep hemline with seam tape and evidence it was taken up an inch in the past, and the skirt seams are pinked. I didn’t see this label in the label resource. I googled it and found lots of 1940s suits. Any idea how old and what kind of buttons it may have had? Thank you!

CA5F3C96-D6A1-4AFC-A695-08E39790564F.jpeg EECA1572-29E5-4240-9585-7FCFB52A512E.jpeg DBA32000-1F2E-46C2-A058-586D0CF93B79.jpeg A3E91009-65F7-4230-8BF1-F7455342E823.jpeg

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a lovely suit and I love the fabric and color. I would place it in the late 1940s. My guess is that the buttons were fabric covered to match the suit. Possibly cloth centers with a thin metal rim around the outer button. Of course, we have no way of knowing what the buttons were. The buttons may have been removed if the suit was dry cleaned.

denisebrain and acceber like this.
  3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you very much! I am absolutely in love with that color! I found some beautiful Bakelite buttons in a coordinating green color to use.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I suspect Barbara is right about the type of buttons, however, I have seen suits from this period that also have plastic buttons the same colour as the suit (as plain and functional as possible - 2 or 4 hole), or in a complimentary neutral, so brown would work (I would go for brown over black), maybe even wood buttons. You could also go with gold metallic, although that strikes me as something more typical of the late 50s - early 60s.

5. I love the lines of this suit. I have had some from this age, that were a bakelite type of plastic that just break down and crack.
    And sometimes leave a mark from the formaldehyde

6. acceber

acceber VFG Member

With the replacement buttons. I don’t think these are Bakelite buttons. They don’t pass the smell or 409 tests. They are vintage, I think, because there are tool marks on the back.

8D14F745-D685-4928-8EEB-E4E174FBF41B.jpeg

nsweezie likes this.
  7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Those look completely plausible for the era!

acceber likes this.
  9. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Awesome! Thank you!

10. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

You see this style suit from the late 40s into the mid 50s. Nice button choice!