1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating ostrich feather cape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jul 17, 2017.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1521.JPG IMG_1522.JPG IMG_1525.JPG IMG_1526.JPG I love this thing. Any idea how old? There are no tags anywhere and no hint there ever was. I tried to get a closeup of the fabric and the feathers. The feathers go all around the hood. Machine made. It ties closed at the throat with ties made from the same fabric.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a silk chiffon and may well be from the 1970s.

acceber likes this.
  3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thought I'd put up some more pics to try and show how much there is to this. Sitting on the dress form doesn't do it justice.

5. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

That is exceptional. It's like you're wearing a second skin.

acceber likes this.
  6. So it's just a sheer georgette? How is it sewn? Are the seams French and the hem rolled?

acceber likes this.
  7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I don't think it's a sheer gorgette. Honestly, the fabric feels nearly the same as a pair of genuine vintage seamed Cuban heeled stockings I scored at an estate sale NIB, and the box design looks 30s/40s. (I'll have to post them sometime!)

As far as the seams, I did my best to get pics. I think the seams are French. The hem is folded, folded again and sewn - very neatly. All the seams are very neatly done considering this is a fabric that frayed in a few places around the hood.

The ostrich feathers are attached and sewn in a pocket around the edge of the hood where the sharp ends are hidden by means of some lightweight rope that is peeking out in one of the pics.

I don't know, but I think it's older than the 70s. This may sound weird but it has the same smell to it as my 20s dresses. Not a bad smell. Just an old one. lol

Posting pics of the hem, inside and out, one pic of an inside seam, one pic showing that rope sticking out and the pocket where the sharp feather ends are hidden. IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1572.JPG

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Interesting piece.

It is possible that the ostrich was added at a later date. That particular type of ostrich trim looks more modern to me, post 1950s era. The feathers are a bit too flimsy (but lovely) looking for an antique garment, and the cotton core is not typical for antique feathers trimmings.

It does not look much older than 1960s to me. Hard to say as it is black and we cannot feel the fabric.

StitchesandSnags and acceber like this.
  9. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1582.JPG Thank you for all the help!

The stitching around the hood and holding in the feathers appear to be the same as the rest of the stitching throughout the cape.

The length of ostrich feather trim is 32".

I think it might be a little fluffier in person, as it made me feel like a muppet wearing it. lol

Closeup pics of the hood stitching and the feathers. The entire affair is brown, though the feathers can look gold in the light. My 12 year old reluctantly complied with modeling. lol

10. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_1585.JPG Last pic. I wish there was a fabric feeling app. lol Anyway, this is what the hood and feathers look like from the back. I have no experience with ostrich feathers but it does seem rather flimsy compared to other vintage ostrich feathers stuff on google images.

11. Thank you for the extra pics. I wish that I could see this is person as it would tell me things that the photos can not. My first thought was '30s but the close ups give me a more modern feel. I agree with Barbara that the feathers look more modern. I'm unable to date this piece on the available information.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  12. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you for trying anyway! I appreciate it! I'm going to take it to someone who may be able to at least identify the fabric.

13. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I took it to someone who confirmed this cape is made from silk chiffon. She also said she believes the purpose of the cotton was more to support the feathers on such a flimsy fabric. The feathers were sewn to the cotton and then sewn into the hood.

14. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Good to know it is silk chiffon, a very nice fabric. This type of feather boa was (and still is) made this way by the manufacturer/maker. The strung feathers were sewn at the factory to a cotton cording, and then sold by the yard to dressmakers and costumers. I think whoever made this (is it home made?) bought them already strung on the cording. You still buy them this way today. The antique boas had a different look and usually a different type of construction. Your ostrich feathers are nice, but the antique ones are much more dense and thick.

It is a great garment, with a very Gothic appeal.

15. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Well at least we got to the bottom of it. Thank you very much for all the help and information! I don't know if it's home made or not. It's very nicely put together. Thanks again!

StitchesandSnags likes this.