1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Philippe Venet

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katarzyna, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

Hi guys!

This is crazy because I bought it minutes ago, and it's not even with me yet. But I couldn't wait.
    Can you help me date this dress? Is it couture?

PS
    I know how it looks like, and I love it! ;)

thank you
    K

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I see early 90s and not couture but let’s see what others think

Katarzyna likes this.
  3. Katarzyna

I guess it can't be couture if it's a dead stock from a closed belgian boutique

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I agree with Victoria "not couture." How do I know? It has a tag with a size. This applies to all designer garments.

Retro Ruth, Midge and Katarzyna like this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I was just going to say the same as Claire :). But these hand-written labels are not unusual for higher end French brands from the 80s or early 90s.

Katarzyna likes this.
  6. Katarzyna

indeed, I've seen it a lot in chanel garments. i guess the lack of the word "boutique" confuse me here

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, agree it is not couture. Katarzyna, why do you think it should have the word "boutique"?

8. Katarzyna

might, not should. some french brands brand this way pret a porter, and i've seen same venet label but with "boutique" on it. that's all.

9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Katarzyyna, I only have a couple of Venet couture pieces so I don't know a lot about his fashion house.

However, I can provide some general information. For many decades, couture houses were not allowed to make rtw (ready-to-wear). All this changed in the 60s when YSL introduced the Mondrian dress and all the rtw manufacturers copied it and called it pret-a-porter.

Prior to that the Couture Houses had an onsite boutique where they sold designs which were sometimes made in the couture workrooms. In some boutiques, they would include a single fitting.

Once pap was established, the Houses used Boutique to differentiate them from couture. At Chanel, Largerfeld began Chanel Boutique and discontinued Chanel Creations. Later, Boutique was dropped from the Chanel label.

This is a nutshell version and can be added with additional info.

10. Katarzyna

thank you Claire, good info! I had a lot of "boutique"labeled pieces, including Guy Laroche, Dior, Nina Ricci, Jean Patou, Valentino. that checks, all couture houses/ designers. I think Givenchy, however used "couture" on some of their rtw pieces

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  11. Henry Wilkinson

Henry Wilkinson VFG Member

Great piece! Agree with everyone, this looks like RTW.
    And what poignant timing this find was too - you bought this piece just days before it was announced Philippe Venet has passed away, aged 91. It's such sad news. One of the last couturiers of the 'Golden age'. I've always admired him very much.

12. Katarzyna

It came in the mail exactly the day it was announced he passed. I will be keeping the dress. I'm in the process of ordering acid free box.

13. Katarzyna

@Henry Wilkinson I also meant to ask you, as you're the Givenchy expert. Not much was written about Venet, can you recommend books where he does appear? I though about buying this book on Balenciaga, Givenchy, Venet. that's the title also I think, I'm wondering is it worth buying. the book is:
    Cristobal Balenciaga, Philippe Venet, Hubert de Givenchy: Grand Traditions in French Couture

14. Henry Wilkinson

Henry Wilkinson VFG Member

Unfortunately there is hardly anything written about Philippe Venet. Even upon the announcement of his passing hardly any broadcasters picked up on the news.
    I have this book! It's nice, but not nearly as informative as I would have hoped. It was published alongside an exhibition of the three designer's work at a French chateau. The book features some detail shots of pieces displayed at this exhibition, alongside many photos of the Chateau's interiors. There's actually only three short paragraphs of text about Venet, which is a shame. It's got some lovely photos, but doesn't go into any kind of depth about the three designers.

Katarzyna likes this.