1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Pirelli rubber soled rope tie sandals with towelled lining

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I've seen Pirelli soles on lots of shoes from the 70's onwards but these look far earlier to me, the most similar designs I can find advertised are from 1939 but with a covered heel, or toe. So I'm thinking these must be later to account for the lack of uppers, I don't *think* they're later than 1950's or so due to the shape.
    However after all that they have the UK & EU size moulded into the side of the sole- I've not really held any vintage shoes pre-1970's that included both of these sizes so am wary this might mean they are much later.
    So, throwing this right out there; any ideas on age?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The very round toes and pebbled finish are typical of the late 40s - early 50s and there was a fashion for Roman looking sandals for beachwear, at the time. The Bohemians and Beats wore them a lot in the early 50s off the beach. I would say c. 1950

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks Jonathan, just checking are you referring to the soles when you say pebbled finish?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

yes

5. So cute. What size are they?

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

sole reads 4 36 but red lining is 3x9" :USETHUMBUP:

7. joules

joules VFG Member

Not quite the same, but a cute 1947 cartoon, with beach sandals:
    [​IMG]

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Great fun! Thanks for sharing. I have a pair that look like that too, in lilac alligator, but which date from 1941 (from the lady's daughter).

The guy reminds me of the old TinTin.

9. Lindy68

Lindy68 Registered Guest

Hi - These rope sandals were worn in 1958/59 I had a pair myself as did all my friends.

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

They made almost anything connected with rubber. I believe it is the same company, whether or not they actually made the shoes I don't know. They could have had them made for them by a shoe factory. I see a lot of Pirelli slippers with rubber soles from the 60's/70's and I just did a search you can still buy Pirelli trainers today!