1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating three vintage scarves/hankies: Glentex and unknowns

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by thedecorouscat, Sep 26, 2021.

1. thedecorouscat

thedecorouscat Registered Guest

Hopefully it’s ok to post these three together.

Does anyone have any good resources for dating vintage scarves/hankies? I’ve got three silk pieces that I know are not all from the same period but I’m not at all sure how to give them a solid date, beyond what I know from dating clothing. Everything I’ve found online suggests dating them off the shape but it doesn’t seem to be an exact science since they didn’t exactly change much in design over the years.

The blue one is a 16x43 rectangle- I’m guessing at least the 70s since there’s a care label but …? Produced by Glentex, which was trademarked in 1939 and while most popular through the 40s and 50s, made scarves till I believe the early 80s. Their labels didn’t seem to change in style post 60s. Machine stitched.

The green is a 30x30 square- this one is a very thin tissue silk. Tag doesn’t give me a whole lot to go off of, but the matte brown font reads earlier to me. My gut is saying 30s but I could be way off.

The monkey is a 16.5x17 rectangle- and frankly I have no guess, maybe 50s? Tourist piece?

Is there a better way to date scarves?

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

The blue one, straight out of the 70s, the green one, I'm not getting 30s, I think later, 50s, the last one, my favorite, that little fella, I first thought 50s but I'm not so sure, could be but it might be as early as 30s.

thedecorouscat likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I think the monkey embroidered one is 50’s. Likely part of a set of 4 or 6. Possibly with other animals. I just sold a very similar set with different birds embroidered to the corners.

4. thedecorouscat

thedecorouscat Registered Guest

Aww man. I would love to have a bird one; I collect random bird ephemera. Found this one in a bin in an antique shop.
    thanks.

GemGem likes this.