1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating velvet jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by averyvintageshop, Jun 22, 2017.

1. averyvintageshop

averyvintageshop Registered Guest

Hi there everyone - I picked up this jacket at an estate sale a couple weeks ago. There were some Victorian/Edwardian pieces there which made me think that this jacket might be from that era. But upon examining the fabric, I don't believe that it's a true silk velvet, so perhaps it's circa 1930s? Any help would be appreciated.
    IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0347.JPG

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Judging by the photos, I would say it is in indeed an Edwardian garment. I cannot tell the type of velvet without handling it of course, but it does look like perhaps a nice cotton velveteen or a cotton/silk blend velvet.

3. I agree with Barbara and suspect it's an early 1900s garment. If you were able to photograph the interior or the shape (maybe even do it up and photograph on a flat surface if it's too small for the mannequin) it would help. Hard to know what the fabric composition is but I agree once again with Barbara that cotton velvet or velveteen seems likely. Silk velvet is better for softer, less structured garments.