1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating vintage wedding dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ellie, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Ellie

Ellie Registered Guest

I came across this wedding dress in a thrift store recently.
    The fabric is a very thick and heavy satin (?) and appears to have been made by hand (or perhaps homemade is the better word for it).
    It is nearly flawless, despite its assumed age and I am hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on the possible era of this dress.
    I am posting a photo of the dress and some photos of the inside, as well.
    (If it means anything, the zipper says "unique" embossed horizontally across on top and "japan" embossed vertically underneath that.)
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you! :)

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Judging only by the photos and not being able to handle it, it looks like a 1970s Victorian/Edwardian revival style gown. It appears to have been shortened quite a bit, probably for later use as a formal occasion gown or costume. In the close ups the fabric looks like a synthetic, but of course it is hard to tell from a picture.

Very pretty!

3. Ellie

Ellie Registered Guest

Oh now that you mention the dress looking as though it has been shortened (which is so sad!), that makes sense. It did seem a bit of an odd choice for someone to have made the ribbons on that bow so much longer than the dress.
    Thank you for your input! I appreciate it!