1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating white eyelet blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by stainedglass, Aug 2, 2017.

1. stainedglass

stainedglass Registered Guest

Hi! Wondering when this button up eyelet blouse with short puff sleeves is from. Can anyone help with an origin, date, and possibly tell what type of fabric it is? Thanks!
    IMG_9149.jpg IMG_9151.jpg IMG_9148.jpg

2. stainedglass

Bumping because I'm still not sure :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hmm, I would guess 50s to early 60s. Do you know how to do a thread-burn test? http://vintagefashionguild.org/determining-fiber/ It looks like a man-made fiber, but I can't say which sort. The origin is most likely US...36 would be the bust size in inches.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  4. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

What are the buttons made of? They look like they're plastic. I believe this is early sixties as well.

5. stainedglass

I agree about it being synthetic, it has a slight sheen to it like poly sometimes has. I'll try a burn test!
    I believe they're plastic.

6. stainedglass

So I just attempted my first burn test, but this garment has virtually no seam allowances. I used a stray thread and a very very small piece of fabric from the seam, the most I was able to get, and when lit it burned fast and self extinguished. It melted and smelled like chemicals and turned into a hard round black bead. Is it safe to assume its polyester? Or might the results be a little different if I used more fabric?

7. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

That definitely sounds like polyester.

8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh, I know how hard it is to get a good read on just a few fibers, especially if the fiber is a blend. You did well in trying, and polyester is a reasonable answer. If I were selling the blouse I'd probably call it a silky woven polyester (to give an idea of the feel).

9. stainedglass

Thanks so much for your help ladies!